Why Workout and Stay Active?
Staying motivated to work out is so hard. It is a constant struggle for me. I really enjoy being healthy and athletically fit, but it is hard to make time to actually do it. I can always find 1 million other things to do other than working out. For me, working out is not about losing weight or being a certain weight. It is about staying “in-shape” to be able to keep up with my kids. It also forces me to take an hour for myself and feel great about it afterwards. Here are some ways I stay motivated to workout.
Ways to Stay Motivated to workout
- Schedule a workout class, trainer or gym time like an appointment. Make it so you can’t back out. I have a barre class that I go to sometimes that you need to reserve online before class. If you don’t show up, you have to pay a $10 cancellation fee. I need the monetary motivation once in a while. Find something like that if you need the extra motivation.
- I almost never want to go to class but I love the feeling of accomplishment afterwards, sore muscles the next day is bonus points. When you don’t want to go workout, don’t think about working out. Think about how you are going to feel afterwards. It may help motivate you to get up and go.
- Try different things until you find what works for you. I am not a gym person, never have been. I enjoy and thrive in classes. I basically need someone to tell me what to do and to push me to keep going and try new things.
- When I want to save a few bucks or can’t get away, I do a short YouTube workout video. I love Blogilaties and Pop Sugar fitness. If you are pregnant or postpartum, Pop Sugar has some great pregnancy videos that I enjoyed. I make a little workout spot in our lower level playroom. Yes it is surrounded by toys but it works for a quick workout and I feel better about my day when I am done.
- Buy yourself some cute new workout clothing. It sounds crazy but it works! Looking good and feeling good go hand in hand.
- Set a goal. This is probably the most important thing to do. Set a goal for yourself. Why are you doing this? What is important? It doesn’t matter how small it is. Set some sort of goal and keep it simple. My current workout goal is to workout 3 times a week, 1 class and 2 times at home.
For me, this is the hardest part of working out. I hope this helps give you some ideas to help you stay motivated to workout and stay active.